Saturday, September 18, 2021

telegram SH
Whatsapp 9787748839374893773 1

images 23 1609798193847

HomeNewsGeneral News'I’ve No Record Of How Much Abacha Stole' — Malami

‘I’ve No Record Of How Much Abacha Stole’ — Malami

In response to a Freedom of Information request sent to the office of the Attorney General of the federal and Minister of Justice, Mr Abubakar Malami, SAN, by the Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project, demanding accountability on recovered $5bn Abacha loot.

'I’ve No Record Of How Much Abacha Stole' — Malami

Malami, while responding said, he has no record of the amount of money stolen by the late military dictator, Gen. Sani Abacha.

According to him, he wouldn’t also know about $5bn Abacha loot allegedly recovered between 1999 and 2015 and how the money was spent.

The FoI requests dated 14 February 2020, read in part;

The Federal Government should disclose details of projects executed with the Abacha loot and their locations, details of companies and contractors involved in the execution of any such projects, details of all the agreements on the loot, the roles played by the World Bank and other actors, as well as the implementation status of all projects since 1999.

Publishing the details of projects on which Abacha loot has been spent would allow the public to know the specific projects carried and the areas of the country in which the projects have been implemented as well as the officials that may be responsible for any alleged diversion or mismanagement of the loot.

According to our information, a special panel set up on 23 July 1998 by the former head of state General Abdulsalami Abubakar to probe the late military dictator General Sani Abacha stated that he stole over $5 billion between 1993 and 1998 when he was in power. Much of the stolen public funds have been returned to Nigeria.

The report by the panel shows that the government recovered some $635 million, £75 million, DM 30 million and N9 billion as well as several vehicles and properties in Abuja, Lagos and Kano together with 40% interests in West African Refinery in Sierra Leone. Other assets were recovered from the Abacha family and associates.

Furthermore, former president Olusegun Obasanjo administration also reportedly recovered over $2 billion of Abacha loot. Mr Obasanjo would seem to confirm this fact when he stated in the second volume of his book titled My Watch that: ‘by the time I left office in May 2007, over $2 billion and £100 million had been recovered from the Abacha family abroad, and N10 billion in cash and properties locally.

Similarly, former president Goodluck Jonathan administration reportedly recovered $226.3 million and €7.5 Million from Liechtenstein. Some £22.5 million was also recovered from the Island of Jersey while $322 million and £5.5 million from the Abacha loot were reportedly returned to the government.

The government of president Muhammadu Buhari has also recovered several millions of dollars of Abacha loot since assuming office in May 2015, including $321 million from Switzerland, and $300 million from the US and Jersey.

ALSO READ: ‘You Lied, No $49.8bn Disappeared Under Jonathan’ – Omokri Blast Sanusi

However, a statement which was signed by Hamza Adeyinka Omolara, Malami’s Principal Counsel at the Ministry of Justice reads in part;

We have searched our records and the information on the exact amount of public funds stolen by Abacha and how recovered loot was spent from 1999–2015 is not held by the Ministry.

However, a total of $322 million was recovered from Switzerland in January 2018 and the funds were used for Social Investment Project. Also, $308 million was recovered from the Island of Jersey in collaboration with the USA. While awaiting the transfer of the money to Nigeria, it has been designated for the following projects: Lagos—Ibadan Expressway; Abuja—Kano Expressway, and Second Niger Bridge.

But Oludare said SERAP was dissatisfied with the AGF’s response.

Oluwadare said;

The failure to provide information on the exact amount stolen by Abacha and on spending of recovered loot for the period between 1999 and 2015 implicitly amounts to a refusal by the government.

The government also failed to provide sufficient details on the spending and planned spending of the $630m it said it recovered since 2018.

In the circumstances and given that Mrs Zainab Ahmed has failed and/or refused to respond to our FoI request, we are finalising the papers for legal actions under the FoI Act to compel the government of President Muhammadu Buhari to fully and effectively comply with our requests.


SEE HOW TO MAKE MONEY ON THIS PLATFORM>>[http://bit.ly/2PvYHfC]

Donate to support Freshreporters=>https://freshreporters.com/support




DISCLAIMER
For publication of your news content, articles, videos or any other news worthy materials, please send a mail to thefreshrepo [email protected]

For Advert and other info, you can send a WhatsApp Message to +2347050565443


Join thousands of readers to receive daily Latest News:

telegram iconJoin our Telegram Group

facebook iconLike our Facebook Page

whatsapp iconJoin our WhatsApp Group

twitter iconFollow Us on Twitter

facebook iconJoin Our FACEBOOK GROUP

instagram iconFollow Us on Instagram

youtube iconSubscribe to our YouTube Channel


. .

4 COMMENTS

Most Viewed news