A fire from an electricity fault burnt a Lagos-based medical doctor, Ijeoma Idaresit, and her two children beyond recognition.
The incident happened at her home in Parkview, Ikoyi area of Lagos state on Sunday, December 13, 2020.
Before her death, the deceased was the Conference Director at Postpartum Support Network Africa, PSNAfrica.
The bereaved friend of the deceased who narrate the sad incident in a facebook post said neighbours contacted the Lagos State Fire Service but before the firemen arrived, the house had been razed.
Olatoun Gabi-Williams wrote on facebook:
“On Saturday, December 12, 2020, we lost a dearly loved one, Ijeoma Idaresit née Ejekam, our African Book Group librarian and cherished friend to all of us.
“The tragic death of Ijeoma, fondly known as Ije, occurred at her Park View residence when due to an electrical fault, a fire started, quickly consuming the entire building with Ije and her two beautiful daughters – a toddler and a baby – indoors, upstairs. The fire brigade showed up 20 minutes too late: by the time they managed to get upstairs to rescue the young family, it was too late.”
Confirming the incident in a statement, the spokesman for the Lagos State Fire Service, Ahmodu Shakiru, said the fire service could not be blamed for the incident.
The statement reads:
“That is the usual accusation, but the point is that we are not yet operating digital so, we rely on public information and time of response is a factor of many things from who discovered the emergency and what action was taken and what time the alarm is raised.
“It is unfortunate that since 2007 when the Lagos State Government introduced the toll-free number, over 60 per cent of Lagosians don’t even have the number on their phone. So, how do they call and how accurate is the information is given, the street name, the name of the areas?
Parkview, where this incident happened, has its own fire engine and we have helped the estate to set it up, but they cannot run it effectively. They asked us to help them operate it but the condition was that the engine could never be used outside their estate and we rejected this because as firemen, we are expected to help anyone who has an emergency.”
Donate to support Freshreporters=>https://freshreporters.com/support
Join our Telegram Channel=>https://t.me/freshreporters
Like our Facebook Page=> https://facebook.com/freshreporters
Join our WhatsApp Group=> http://bit.ly/3sAh4zf
Follow Us on Twitter=>https://twitter.com/freshreporters
Join Our FACEBOOK GROUP=> https://bit.ly/3ilsqm1
Follow Us on Instagram=>https://instagram.com/freshreporters
Subscribe to our YouTube Channel=> https://bit.ly/3bLfnJj
For publication of your news content, articles, videos or any other news worthy materials, please send a mail to thefreshrepo [email protected]
For Advert and other info, you can send a WhatsApp Message to +2347050565443
Join thousands of readers to receive daily Latest News:
PROMO SALES!!! Get cheap WRISTWATCH, SHADES & BRACELET collections😘💃